Here we go again! I am really committing to this blog now. It’s been almost a year, third times a charm or so I’ve heard 😉 A lot has changed, my two pups and I have moved into a cute little one bedroom apartment in the city. We are loving it! They have a nice window seat to people watch and sleep in the sun. I’ve just decorated for Christmas and am loving my own space. Featured below, Maxwell and LJ (left to right).
I am going to start with a go-to easy dinner of mine. Stir fry is classic, simple, and can be adapted to everyone’s taste. The rice can be whichever you prefer, I love brown rice or long grain wild rice sometimes. My girlfriend, Alexa, loves white rice, so sometimes a compromise has to be made. Long grain white rice is actually quite delicious! The veggies can be as simple as a steam-able veggie mix or you can julienne some onions, peppers, and baby broccoli. Any way you chose, the sauce is what makes this dish. Yes, of course you can buy an already made stir fry sauce. However, there is tons of sodium in there and you can actually make a delicious sauce from things you most likely already have at home.
Experiment, get creative and let me know what your best combination is!
Recipe: Chicken/Veggie Stir-Fry
2-4 Servings – 15 min. prep – 20-25 min. cook time
Stir Fry Sauce
2 Tbsp soy sauce
3 Tbsp Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp honey
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp chopped garlic
1 tsp of salt, pepper, chili powder, and onion powder
2 boneless chicken breasts
1 steamable bag of rice
1 steamable bag of mixed vegetables
¼ C corn starch
Olive oil, for cooking
- Combine all of the ingredients for the sauce. Set aside to let the flavors merry together
- Put corn starch in a Ziploc bag. Season with salt and pepper
- Cut the chicken breasts into ½ inch cubes. Place them in the Ziploc bag as well. Shake it up!
- Add olive oil to a pan, about 3 turns of the pan, place on medium heat.
- Shake off the excess corn starch from the chicken and add the chicken to the pan. Cook until golden brown, turning them a couple times
- Cook the steam-able rice, then the steam able veggies according to the package
- In a separate pan, add olive oil, about 3 turns of the pan, place on medium/high heat
- Add the cooked rice to make it crispy
- Make a hole in the center of the rice, add 1 egg. Stir it as if you were scrambling it in the pan
- Once the rice begins to crisp, add the steamed veggies. Turn the heat down to medium
- Add the cooked chicken to the rice/veggie mixture
- Add the sauce that was set aside earlier. Let it simmer for about 5 minutes. Let it absorb the flavor
- Serve in bowls. Add more soy sauce to taste. Enjoy!