Pasta pasta pasta. Super easy to make and can be paired with a lot of different flavored sauces. When I was younger, I preferred my pasta with butter and parmesan cheese. No sauce, which in my family, was seen as very odd. My brother only liked meatballs and sauce. We did eventually grow out of that. Now we both like pasta, sauce and meatballs together. Although I think he would still prefer just meatballs and sauce any day!
Anyways, a dish a friend had made me inspired the creation of this dish. I am a huge fan of Greek food and Mediterranean flavors.Salty, sweet, savory. The combination of Kalamata olives, roasted red peppers, and artichokes is amazing. I added some spinach, feta crumbles, and a squeeze of lemon juice to really make the flavors pop. This has turned into one of my favorite pasta dishes. It’s a fairly simple recipe, with simple ingredients. Adding protein, like shrimp or chicken to this dish would taste delicious.
As far as the pasta itself, I had been hearing rave reviews of cooking pasta in a sauté pan. Turns out, people know what they’re talking about. The water boils so much faster and the pasta cooks quicker. Which means, you get to eat sooner! Always a plus my friends.
Recipe: Mediterranean Pasta
2-4 Servings – 5 min. prep – 20-25 min. cook time
1 C Extra virgin olive oil
1 5 oz. jar Kalamata pitted olives
1 can artichoke hearts, halved or quartered
1.5 C spinach, fresh
½ C feta, crumbled
½ box spaghetti pasta
½ jar roasted red peppers, thinly sliced
½ lemon, juiced
2 tsp Salt, Pepper, Oregano
- Using a deep sauté pan to cook the pasta. Fill ¾ of the way with water. Please on high heat to boil
- Once the water is boiling, salt the water and add the pasta in a single layer
- Cook pasta 8-10 minutes, until al denté
- While the pasta is cooking, add the Olive Oil to another pan. Place on medium-high heat
- Add the artichokes, olives, spinach, and roasted red peppers. Cook for about 10 minutes. Stirring a few times
- Strain the pasta and add it to the other pan. Cook altogether for about 5 minutes.
- Squeeze half a lemon and sprinkle with feta crumbles
- You can add shrimp or chicken for some added protein