BIG WEEK friends. Moving is tiresome, I’m sure all of you agree with that statement. Even with movers, it’s just a long process. I’ve moved countless times over the past 5 years or so. But it’s a good move and so incredibly happy, especially now that it’s over 😉 Anyways, another thing we can probably all agree on is the love for tacos and margaritas. Taco Tuesday happens every week at our house, in some form. Tacos, tostadas, nachos, homemade guac and chips, queso. The list goes on and on.
Alexa and I are currently switching over to a non-processed food diet. This hasn’t been too terrible, I miss some things but have been enjoying cooking everything we eat from scratch. The one exception, is our love of tacos. I did make my own tortillas last week, which turned out pretty delicious. Extremely time consuming without a tortilla press. I needed to come up with healthier, homemade versions of the foods we love. Chicken nachos happened, yum. Nachos are one of my favorite go-to snacks. It sometimes is my dinner after a kickball game. With that being said, it was necessary for me to try and make a healthier version, to a certain extent. Recipe coming soon!
Alexa’s favorite thing is a burrito bowl; she gets it every time we go to our favorite Mexican restaurant. So that became next on my list, to make a healthier version at home. Homemade burrito bowls with Quinoa, shrimp (she had chicken), guacamole, and lime crema. Super simple, fresh ingredients. No flavor over-powering another, not overly spiced. Feel free to enjoy the guacamole with homemade chips as snack. You can also add some grated cheddar cheese on top or your favorite salsa.
Shrimp burrito bowl
2-4 Servings – 15 min. prep – 10 min. cook time
1 C uncooked Quinoa
16-24 medium shrimp
Olive oil for cooking
½ C Greek yogurt, plain
2 tbsp lime juice
1 tsp salt
2 avocados, mashed
2 tbsp lime juice
1/2 C diced red onion
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tsp Salt, Pepper, cumin, chili powder
- Cook Quinoa according to the instructions on the box/bag. *Tip, use a sauté pan to help it cook faster.
- For Guacamole, cut the avocados in half. Take out the pit. Scoop into a bowl and mash
- Dice up the onion. Mince the garlic. Add both to the mashed avocado
- Add all the other ingredients under Guacamole. Mix well and set aside
- For the lime crema, mix the Greek yogurt, lime juice, and salt into a bowl. Mix well and set aside
- Rinse off your shrimp and deshell them. You may leave the tails on if desired. Pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Place shrimp into a bowl. Season with salt and pepper, toss to make sure they are coated
- Heat a pan to medium heat. Once hot, drizzle with olive oil. Place shrimp in the pan. Cook 3-4 minutes on one side. Flip the shrimp. Cook for another 2-3 minutes
- Hopefully your Quinoa is cooked by now. Time to assemble the burrito bowl. It’s all about layers. Bottom of the bowl, quinoa. Place as many shrimps on top as you’d like (usually 6-8). Place a spoonful of guacamole on one side of the bowl and the lime crema on the other. Top with scallions