When you have changed your eating habits to a low-carb, no added sugar, non-processed type of thing, finding a dessert that fits into all those categories can be a little tricky. Now don’t get me wrong, I will not say no to a ‘twist’ ice cream in a waffle cone or a warm brownie. However, not ideal for daily consumption. Chocolate is the ultimate dessert flavor for me. Whether it’s a cookie, brownie, or piece of candy, chocolate completes dinner for me.
Healthy dessert? Doesn’t sound like those two words should go together. I am here to tell you I have come up with a few different delicious, satisfying desserts. Without all the added sugar and calories. The one for today is in the form of a Mug Cake. If you’re not sure what that is: it is where you put all of the ingredients for a cake/cookie/brownie in a mug, single serving, microwave for 1 minute, and that’s it! This is the perfect way to enjoy your favorite treat, in a single serving. Instead of making a couple dozen cookies and proceeding to eat them all because they are sitting there (I’m sure we are all guilty of that).
Depending on the type of mug you use, your mug cake may rise out of the top a little bit. I prefer to use smaller mugs like the one featured above. The taller mugs seem to not work as well. Completely your call!
Brownie Mug Cake
2 Servings – 5 min. prep – 2 min. cook time
About 150 calories per mug
1 tbsp cocoa powder
2 tbsp white sugar substitute
1 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp whole wheat flour
2 egg whites
2 tbsp almond milk
1 tbsp pbFit powder
1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- Melt coconut oil in a mug. Brush it around the mug to make it non-stick
- Add all other wet ingredients to the mug: almond milk and egg whites. Mix well
- Add dry ingredients to the mug, one at a time. Whole wheat flour, sugar substitute, cocoa powder, pbFit powder, and baking soda. Mix thoroughly between adding each ingredient
- Place in microwave for 1 minute
- Add whipped cream or chocolate chips if desired. Enjoy!!