Super simple dinners have been key the past few weeks. Moving was more of a project than I thought it would be. Glad it’s over! Slowly adjusting to a new life, new schedule, new everything. I’ve spent a lot of my time hanging out with my dogs. As long as they have a window seat, they are happy little guys.
I’ve also had a lot of time to cook, try new recipes, and even try my hand at baking. Although North Carolina isn’t as cold as New York, it’s still starting to feel like fall down here. To me, fall says apples, pumpkins and ‘stick to your ribs’ dishes. There is nothing like a warm, hearty meal after a long day.
This dish was inspired by a sausage, pepper, and onion sandwich. As we are currently still not eating processed carbohydrates, an actual sandwich was out of the question. I needed something to bring all the ingredients together. I had quinoa in the pantry, it seemed appropriate for this dish. It also made it easier for an almost one skillet dinner. While the quinoa was cooking, the other ingredients are all cooked in a cast iron skillet. I also added kale for a green, leafy element. It makes Anyways, once everything is cooked, add the quinoa to the cast iron skillet. Stir it altogether and enjoy!
Sausage, Peppers and Onions Quinoa Skillet
4-6 Servings – 10 min. prep – about 45 min. cook time
1 package of turkey kielbasa
6-8 mini sweet peppers
1/2 sweet onion
2 cloves garlic
3 stems of kale leaves
2 tbsp of olive oil
2 C water
1/2 C chicken stock
- In a medium sized pot, bring quinoa and water to a boil. Once boiling, turn to low heat and cover. Simmer about 20-25 minutes, until all the water is absorbed and the quinoa is tender
2. Heat up a cast iron skillet to medium heat
3. Cut up turkey kielbasa into quarter inch rounds. Place in cast iron, brown on both sides
4. Once browned, remove the sausage from the pan. Place on a paper towel so the oil can drain off a bit
5. Add some olive oil to the cast iron. Julienne the peppers and onions, add them to the pan. Sauté until softened, about 8-10 minutes
6. Mince the garlic, add it to the pan. Sauté for a couple minutes
7. Add the kale leaves to the pan. Stir all the veggies together
8. The quinoa should be about done at this point. Add it to the veggies in the cast iron skillet. Add the chicken stock as well. Simmer for about 10 minutes
9. Season with salt and pepper
10. Add the sausage back in. Serve and enjoy!