This recipe is packed with vegetables and lentils. Lentils are a great source of protein, iron and fiber. They can also help with digestion. They are a great replacement for those who don’t eat meat or are trying to cut back. The veggie crumbles in this recipe can easily be omitted. We just really enjoy them and use them to replace ground beef in most of our meals. I use boxed mashed potatoes in this recipe for convenience purposes. Absolutely feel free to make your own 🙂 Sweet potatoes are also delicious on top of this instead of regular mashed potatoes.
Hope y’all enjoy it.
Lentil Shepherd’s Pie. Prep time 20 minutes. Cook time 30 minutes. Serves 4-6 people
- 1 C green lentils, dried
- 2 C vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp olive oil or vegetable oil
- ½ white onion, diced
- 1 C carrots, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1.5 C frozen veggie crumbles
- 1 C water
- 1 tsp salt, pepper, oregano, thyme
- 2 tbsp butter, unsalted
- 2 tbsp flour
- 6 servings of boxed mashed potatoes
- On medium-high heat, in a pot, bring the vegetable broth and lentils to a boil.
- Once boiling, simmer for about 20 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees
- In a cast iron pan, on medium heat, add oil
- Prep the onion, carrots, and zucchini. Add to cast iron. Saute until soft, 8-10 minutes.
- Mince garlic, add to cast iron, along with tomato paste. Cook down for 2-3 minutes.
- Add veggie crumbles and spices. Cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Make a hole in the middle of the veggies and veggie meat. Add butter and flour to make a roux.
- Cook the roux for 2 minutes. Then mix together with the cooked veggies and veggie meat.
- Add cooked lentils and water to the cast iron pan. Mix everything altogether.
- In a separate pot, make the mashed potatoes according to the box instructions. Or you can make them from scratch.
- Top the cast iron mixture of lentils and veggies with the mashed potatoes. Spread evenly.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the top is golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy!
This can be made with sweet potatoes as well, instead of regular mashed potatoes.